9-10 November 2018
Intercultural language education for increased European identity and cohesion
CETAPS – FCSH, Nova University Lisbon
9-10 November 2018
The European Commission has been working to establish a ‘European Education Area’
by 2025 and a specific issue under consideration is the learning of languages. Good
language competences are seen as key in promoting the European integration process
and a sense of European identity. However, as Professor Michael Byram, our keynote
speaker, argues, “language teaching does not pay sufficient attention to learners’
cultural competence ‒ and neither does the EU. Linguistic competence is the almost
exclusive focus of attention in teaching and, importantly, in assessment”.
We propose TEFL 7 as a platform to reflect on how intercultural language education
can address the responsibility of what it means to be European and of dealing with local
and global realities, complexities, and perplexities, of belonging to 21st-century
Key note speakers:
The issues we would like to see discussed at the TEFL 7 conference consider how
intercultural language education can play a role in promoting an inclusive and forwardlooking
Europe by addressing the following strands:
• Intercultural citizenship education to engage and promote action for change in
defence of democratic principles, peace and human rights.
• The contribution of the digital revolution and European projects such as etwinning
to the development of intercultural communication and dialogue.
• The role of critical thinking and creativity in developing intercultural
• How to address sensitive issues and challenge aggressive opinions as part of the
intercultural learning process of debating, negotiating, speaking and listening.
• The integration of intercultural competence in ELT, starting at a young age
through to university.
• The integration of intercultural learning in plurilingual approaches and bilingual
programmes such as CLIL.
• The role of instruments proposed by the Council of Europe such as The
Autobiography of Intercultural Encounters, The Autobiography of Intercultural
Encounters through Visual Media, and ECML resources in developing
• The place of visual literacy in the intercultural language classroom.
• Benchmarking, testing and assessing the intercultural domain.
For further information see the conference website: http://www.cetaps.com/events/tefl7/
Registo: CCPFC/ACC-101242/18, Nº de horas acreditadas: 19, Válida até: 04-10-2021
Modalidade: Curso de Formação – Colóquios; congressos; simpósios; jornadas ou iniciativas congéneres, Destinado a: Professores dos grupos 120, 220 e 330.
Estado: C/ Despacho – Acreditado
Avenida de Berna, 26-C / 1069-061 Lisbon
Telephone: +351 21 790 83 00 Fax: +351 21 790 83 08